Apple, Onion, and Cheese Party Sandwich

A little sweet, a little savory, and full of flavor, this sandwich can please a crowd and yes, you can make it vegan quite easily.

After this long entertainment drought, I’m certainly looking forward to having family and friends over, and it’s never too early to plan for a party. While a big gathering is still months away, as soon as the weather breaks here (that means temperatures in the high 40s and 50s) we’ll start having our mini gatherings on our front porch. It might be a little chilly, but as long as the wind isn’t blowing across the river, we’ll be fine.

Ask New Englanders what they’d like on their apple pie and they will probably answer cheddar cheese! We like the salty savory to cut the sweet, and that is the inspiration for this dish, although this is much less on the sweet side.

This is one of the easiest of party foods, and one of the best. Whenever you can split open a baguette, fill it with lusciousness, and cut it into 16 portions, it’s a good move! If you have a large gathering, double the recipe!

First, a beautiful baguette

Look for a lovely sourdough baguette, crisp crust on the outside, chewy and flavorful on the inside. You know what you like! The mustard is an important component here, so don’t skimp on it, you want some in every bite. I like a nice robust grainy mustard, not only for the sharpness and flavor, but also the texture, but use whatever dark mustard you like.

As for the cheese, an extra sharp white Vermont cheddar is the best, something with lots of character! To make this sandwich vegan, simply swap out your favorite vegan cheddar, look for one that melts easily and also has character. By contrast, the onion apple should be sweet. You know how I feel about the maple syrup! The real thing please, and the darker the better!

This might be entertainment food, but it also makes a really quick and delicious supper!

Now, as for the party, not sure when, but you’re all invited, so I guess I’ll need a few more baguettes!

Apple, Onion, and Cheese Party Sandwich

Makes 16 portions
  • 1 sourdough baguette
  • 1/3 cup grainy mustard
  • 4 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 1 large sweet onion, Vidalia if possible
  • 2 tart apples, peeled, cored, sliced
  • Pinch of cinnamon
  • Salt and pepper
  • Dark amber Vermont maple syrup

Preheat your broiler. Position rack just above the center.

Slice your baguette in half lengthwise to make two long slices. Pop in the oven to toast just until barely getting some color.

Remove from the oven and smear the cut sides with the mustard.

Slice or grate the cheese and divide between the two halves, reserving a little to top with later. Set this aside.

Heat a large skillet over medium high and melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the onions and sauté until they are softened but just starting to color. Add the apples and cinnamon, combine well with the onions, cover, and reduce the heat to medium low. Check frequently. You want the apples to just soften.

Sprinkle just a little more cheese on the top to brown and melt. You don’t want to cover up the lovely apples and onions too much though!

Divide the apple/onion mixture between the two halves, then sprinkle with the remaining cheese.

Pop back under the broiler and cook until the cheese melts the edges of the baguette start to crisp up and brown.

Ready to slice for the party!

Remove from the oven to a cutting board and slice each side into eight pieces. Plate and drizzle with the maple syrup.

© Copyright 2021– or current year, The New Vintage KitchenUnattributed use of this material is strictly prohibited. Reposting and links may be used, provided that credit is given to The New Vintage Kitchen, with  active link and direction to this original post. The New Vintage Kitchen does not accept ads or payment for mention of products or businesses.

Supporter of:  Slow Food       Fair Trade USA       Northeast Organic Farmers Association     EcoWatch     No Kid Hungry   Hunger Free Vermont

1. Ally Bean says:

YUM! Oh this looks delicious and is the kind of casual food that we enjoy. Will be adding this to my list of recipes to try soon. Thanks.

1. Thank you! I think you’ll love it as much as we do!

2. John and Dolores Breen says:

Thanks for this great sounding/looking recipe. I don’t have any dark amber but I do have some VT maple. Do you think I should boil it down a bit and save for certain recipes?

1. Hi Dee! You can use any grade of maple you have on hand, I just buy the dark amber from my local guy because I think it has more flavor. How has the weather been where you are? Does it feel like sugaring time there?

3. Wow, this looks delicious!! Can’t wait to make it!!

1. Thank you! It’s so delicious, and easy too!

4. Interesting idea, dear Dorothy. I am bookmarking it for the past-Covid time, when we will throw parties again.

1. Thank you! The time will come!!

1. We hope and pray…

5. NativeNM says:

I have always enjoyed apples and onions together. I have had this combination in other recipes but not in a sandwich. Great idea!

1. Thanks! It’s delightful on a crusty baguette.

6. Such a tasty combination. Definitely a big yes on the mustard with this! 🙂

1. Thank you Ronit! The mustard really does make this sandwich!

7. Sounds delicious if I can leave off the onion please. 🙂 Yes, my grandfather always put sharp cheddar on his apple pie. 🙂

1. Thank you! With or without the onions, it’s a great sandwich!

8. This recipe looks delicious and it is something different to try. Love the ingredients you used.

1. Thank you so much! It is a little different, but so far universally liked by my family.

9. Geri Lawhon says:

I usually would not put these three items together, but it does sound like it would be tasty due to the sweet and oniony taste.

1. They are naturals together, a perfect balance!

10. jama says:

What a great idea — sounds delicious!!

1. Thanks! I like its simplicity!

11. Christy B says:

Oh wow, this combination with apple isn’t one I’ve tried before!

1. Give it a try, it’s really a lovely flavor combo!

12. The simplest things often taste the best! I would have never thought to combine these ingredients on a baguette and drizzle a little maple syrup on top. Yum!

1. It’s so good! Everyone loves this, unexpected flavors that love each other!

1. You’re right about the unexpected flavors, Dorothy!

13. sunisanthosh says:

Great idea apples and onion combination. Very exciting !!

1. Thank you! It’s one of my favorite combinations. Hope you give it a try!

1. sunisanthosh says:

Sure. Have a great weekend. 💌

14. Apples and Cheese are great companions. Now I need to try Onions. This is how to stretch the palate. 😋🌿🍎🧀🧅

1. I think you’ll like the combination. I make and onion and apple tart that also has some cheese, and it was always at hit at the inn at tea time! ❤️

1. I can imagine. Especially Vidalia onions. Their sweetness is something! 🌿🧅

2. Can’t wait for the new crop in spring!

1. Thank you! We had fun with this.

15. This looks so delicious!

1. Thank you Samantha! Next party, you’re invited!

16. My mouth is watering Dorothy, I can’t wait to make this! The mustard was a surprise, I bet it really makes this a wow! I hope you can have a gathering soon.

1. Thank you Jenna! The mustard is the unifying element! We’ll all have wonderful gatherings later this year!

17. What a lovely idea! It looks absolutely delicious.

1. Thank you so much, all the components of this sandwich work together beautifully!