Corn and Horseradish Stuffed Baby Potatoes

Little bites of big flavor, these potatoes are always a crowd pleaser, even if this year the party is a little smaller!

The big game is Sunday and since this year Tom Brady will not be leading the New England Patriots to victory, it’s just another game in our area. Who did you say was playing? But even if you don’t really follow sports, it’s an excuse to make and eat a lot of finger foods you don’t normally indulge in!

I’ll be quilting, or writing, or cooking, and serving a few little snacks to our crowd of two.

Our family loves potatoes, in any form! I’ve made these little stuffed baby potatoes for years, often for parties and summer picnics. They are really delicious using the first new potatoes in early summer, but here in the dead of winter, they are pretty delicious too.

The combination of the corn with the potato and the horseradish and dill running throughout hint to my mom’s potato salad as well as her corn chowder! All that in one little bite!

The hardest part of this recipe is picking out uniform-sized potatoes! I used what I had on hand for this, so they were not quite the same in size. Just pull out the smaller potatoes from the steamer a minute or two before the larger ones.

These can easily be made vegan by omitting the egg and using a vegan mayonnaise.

Quick and easy, this can be made well ahead of time and chilled. A perfect little party delight!

Corn and Horseradish Stuffed Baby Potatoes

• 7 or 8 baby potatoes, about 2”
  • 1 large egg, optional
  • 1 cup whole kernel corn
  • 1 tbsp. prepared horseradish
  • 3 scallions, whites and greens, finely minced
  • 1 tbsp. fresh dill weed, finely minced
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise or vegan mayonnaise
  • 1 tsp. cider vinegar
  • Salt and lots of pepper
  • Dill relish or minced dill pickle

Steam the potatoes until about half done. Add the egg and steam an additional 6 minutes. When the potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork, they are done. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. Run the egg under cold water.

Peel the egg and mash it finely, then place in a large bowl along with the corn, horseradish, the whites and light green of the scallions (save the darkest greens for garnish if you like), dill, mayonnaise, and vinegar.

Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and gently scoop out most of the flesh, leaving a sturdy rim of potato around the perimeter. Mash the potato thoroughly with a fork, then add to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, mix well, taste, correct seasoning.

Mound the stuffing in the potato halves, then garnish with the dill relish, a little more fresh dill, and a sprinkling of sea salt and more pepper. Chill.

© Copyright 2021– or current year, The New Vintage Kitchen, Dorothy Grover-ReadUnattributed use of this material is strictly prohibited. Reposting and links may be used, provided that credit is given to The New Vintage Kitchen, with  active link and direction to this original post. The New Vintage Kitchen does not accept ads or payment for mention of products or businesses.

Supporter of Slow Food       Fair Trade USA

1. Fantastic recipe Dorothy…as always. Love the loaded goodness

1. Thank you so much! They really are loaded with the good!

2. Ally Bean says:

Oh man, those look delicious. Yum, says I.

1. Thank you Ally! They are always popular, and disappear quickly!

1. Thank you! We really enjoy these. A favorite of my grandson’s!

1. Thank you Judy. Love these little bites for a party. Or supper!

3. Cute and delicious, dear Dorothy!

1. Thank you! they are really cute!

1. My pleasure, darling!

4. These look so appetizing and tasty! I’m a big fan of corn in any form, so love that you’ve added it to the filling. 🙂

1. Thank you Ronit! The corn is a perfect addition to the potato, and people really like this!

5. Kitchen Goss says:

These sound incredible 😍

1. Thank you so much, they are always a crowd pleaser!

6. What a perfection in a bite-size feast!

1. Thank you! You are truly kind!

1. Thank you! They are exactly that, mini loaded skins!

7. You’re making me hungry. If you have any leftovers, send them my way! 😋🌿

1. Thank you Gail! I have a few in the fridge, but you’d better be fast because my husband will probably get there first.

8. chef mimi says:

These look fabulous! I’m afraid I’d eat them all! Is there really vegan mayo? jesus. now i”ve heard it all. Obviously I’m no vegan.

1. Thank you Mimi! There are a lot of vegan mayonnaise brands out there, and most of them are not terribly good. However, I’ve found “Just” vegan mayonnaise has a real mayonnaise flavor and although not quite as good as Hellman’s, it is tasty in most recipes.

1. chef mimi says:

I just don’t know why they bother, although that sounds disrespectful, which I don’t mean. I just couldn’t eat mayo that is awful! My husband was a vegetarian for years, and I got pretty creative. But even soy yogurt is awful. Tofutti sour cream is awful.

2. I agree that most of the substitutes are pretty horrible. The vegan cheeses with a few exceptions are disappointing at best, the hard vegan Parmesan that you grate yourself is not bad, and the dairy-free yogurts are nothing like the original with the exception of a coconut one which I had once and can’t find now!

3. chef mimi says:

Oh, I do get the coconut yogurt when I am out of town and go to Whole Foods. I’ve tried for years to figure out how to make it at home, because you can get a vegan starter, but nothing. (I’m supposed to limit dairy and eggs, which is why I care. My two favorite foods 😢)

4. I’m supposed to limit them too because of a creeping cholesterol level that I want to keep under control. So far, so good. I’d rather have a small slice of a really good Vermont cheese once in a while than most of the fake cheeses on a regular basis!

5. chef mimi says:

Goodness yes!!!

9. These potatoes are Unusual, and they look So delicious! Wow!

1. Thank you! They are always popular at a party!

10. What a great party nibble, the corn surprised me but it sounds good! So pretty too!

1. Thank you! The corn really makes these pop!

11. Sally says:

I love potatoes too – I’m staying with someone who doesn’t eat them right now so it seems wasteful to put the oven on just for a single baked potato for me – but sometimes I do and it’s absolute heaven. Lovely recipe

1. Thank you! (These only take a few minutes to steam…).

12. They sound delicious!

13. I love potatoes in any form too! What a wonderful idea! Looks so good! Really mouth watering 😋😋

1. Thank you my dear! This is one of our favorites!

14. Averyl says:

Loads of Brady fans here regardless of his team! I’m not a football fan but these potatoes look and sound delicious!!

1. Yes, we’ll be rooting for Brady’s team today, a remarkable man! Well, I’ll mostly be working on a quilt…Enjoy your day, in whatever form it takes!