Winter Radish Fritters

These little winter radish fritters can be an appetizer, party food, a side dish, or lunch!

We’re trying to be good and eat as much from the local winter CSA as possible. In mid-February, we still have roots of every kind, lots of roots, our continuing supply of baby greens, lots of eggs and cheese. But, in another month, we won’t want to see another beet or rutabaga for a while!

One of the roots in abundance this year has been the winter radishes, watermelon, black, and beautiful purple Daikon. We’ve eaten them in salads, roasted them, braised them, still appreciative that these colorful vegetables do at least remind us of fresh summer produce.

Corn is not the only star!

My favorite fritter of all is corn, of course. In July, there is nothing better. But I’ve also made fritters out of many other vegetables: zucchini, potato, asparagus, apple, among others. However, I’d never made a radish fritter, so I thought I’d give it a try, and I’m glad I did. The sharpness of the radishes was mellowed in the cooking process, so I added the cayenne pepper to give a little zip. A final finish with a squeeze of lemon was perfect.

Easily made vegan, these little pancakes are gluten, nut, and dairy free.

Winter Radish Fritters

Makes 12

• 1 lb. winter radishes, grated
  • 4 scallions, sliced
  • 1 egg, beaten, or 2 tbsp. aquafaba
  • ½ cup garbanzo bean or rice flour
  • ½ tsp. baking powder
  • ½ tsp. sweet paprika
  • ¼ to ½ tsp. cayenne
  • 1 tsp. ground fennel seed
  • ½ tsp. sea salt and pepper
  • Maple syrup
  • Lemon wedges

Grate the radishes on the large grate side of a box grater. Place them in a sieve and sprinkle with kosher salt. Let drain for about 15 minutes. Then, rinse well and squeeze excess moisture. Place on a towel to dry, then transfer to a bowl. Slice the scallions, reserving some of the green for garnish.

To the radishes, add the scallions, egg, flour, baking powder, and spices.

Heat a half inch of oil in a cast-iron frying pan or non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Test that the oil is hot enough with a bit of the mixture, it should immediately start bubbling around the edges.

Form the batter loosely into 12 balls. Place half in the oil and press down slightly. Cook for two minutes or so on each side, or until the fritters are browned and cooked through. Just take a peak under, lifting up with a spatula, they are pretty sturdy.

Drain on a wire rack, sprinkle with a bit more salt, and serve hot drizzled with maple syrup, or a squeeze of lemon juice, or both.

© Copyright 2021– or current year, The New Vintage KitchenUnattributed use of this material is strictly prohibited. Reposting and links may be used, provided that credit is given to The New Vintage Kitchen, with  active link and direction to this original post. The New Vintage Kitchen does not accept ads or payment for mention of products or businesses.

Supporter of Slow Food       Fair Trade USA

1. Love fritters anytime! Radish makes these very interesting.

1. Thank you! It was an experiment, and a good one!

2. suzannesmom says:

These look fantastic!

1. Why thanks! They were really yummy!

3. Mmmm. I like radishes. 😜🌿😋

1. Then maybe you’d like these!

4. They look interesting and so yummy! I have never heard of them. 😍❤️💓💕🍮🍮🍂🔔

1. Thank you! I’ll make just about any vegetable into a fritter!

5. These look pretty addictive! Need to get some nice fresh radishes and give it a try soon. 🙂

1. Thank you! I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

6. Ally Bean says:

These look delicious, but I have to ask: what’s a winter radish?

1. The winter radishes are those that the farmers grow later in the season for harvest in fall and early winter because they keep well over the winter. They include daikon radishes, watermelon radishes, and the spicy black Spanish radishes. They keep for months if stored properly, and grow really large. Some of the watermelon radishes this year look more like a turnip!

1. Ally Bean says:

Well I’ll be! I’ve never heard of such a thing but will keep my eyes out for them.

2. Now you will see them everywhere!

7. I love fritters, they are so tasty and fun to eat!

1. I love them too, and you can have them for any meal or snack! Even a party!

8. Wow, who would have thought?? You are the Queen of creative cooking Dorothy!

1. Thank you, but sometimes between Covid and trying to limit even my trips to the CSA, my cooking is more of desperation and making do! Often with great success and surprise!

1. ha ha, I can relate to that!! Your recipes always amaze me!!

2. Thank you so much, that means a lot to me!

9. CarolCooks2 says:

Very creative, Dorothy …I have made all sorts of fritters but not radish they do sound and look delicious 🙂

10. JOY journal says:

I have still not tried cooked radishes. This looks like a good place to start. I love fritters. 🙂 Blessings!

1. I think you’ll like these! What’s not to like about a fritter!

11. OlverIndulgence says:

What a cool idea!!! I love it.

1. Thanks! They were a lovely little surprise.

12. I’m intrigued by these radish fritters. I love roasted radishes and of course sliced into all kinds dishes. Now I can try them another way! Thanks for always inspiring creativity in the kitchen Dorothy!

1. Thank you so much for your kind words! I was delighted with these little fritters, and I hope you enjoy them too!

13. Drizzling Delicacies says:

I tried this recipe out. It was super delicious, especially with a squeeze of lemon juice. Thanks for sharing.

1. I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe! To take something this simple and make something so yummy feels really good just about now!

14. nancyc says:

What a great way to use radishes!

15. cakefiles says:

Wow these sound sensational! I love veggie fritters 🥰

1. Thank you! I know the family is happy when I make them, any type of them!

16. Those would be amazing with asparagus!

17. Christy B says:

My grandma loved radishes. Now I’m thinking of her. Thanks for bringing back great memories of watching her crunch on radishes as an afternoon snack xx

1. Ah! You’re welcome! You never know what will spark a memory, especially of one we love!

18. Fritters with radish ? Gonna try as it’s sounds interesting and healthy too!

1. They were really good! Surprised myself!

1. Will definitely try 😍