Haricot Verts with Cherry Tomatoes and Hazelnuts

With a few little twists, these thin French green beans are company’s-coming delicious on a week night.

(subtopic, am I the only one having trouble with this new editor?????)

It’s a good day when I find the beautiful little French green beans, called haricot verts, at the market. Straight and thin, tender and quite flavorful, they are the refined cousin of the plump garden beans we are all used to. If you can find them, bring them home! They are easy to work with and because they are smaller than traditional beans, they cook quicker!

Blanch, then create

When preparing these treasures,  give them a quick blanch first, then sauté. You don’t really need to add anything but a little butter and salt for a divine side dish, but you can always dress them up with an herb of choice. Tarragon is delightful with haricot vertes, as is thyme or chives. Garlic, yes! Shallots, of course! Or maybe a drizzle of sesame oil and some toasted sesame seeds, one of my favorite quick dishes.

Use what you have, as long as it’s delicious!

Since I have an abundance of cherry tomatoes right now, I’m using them in just about everything! If you don’t have cherry tomatoes, chop up a ripe tomato. To add some texture, add some nuts of choice. I used hazelnuts here, but Pinenuts would be delicious, as well as smoked almonds! If you like a little heat, add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.

Haricot Verts with Cherry Tomatoes and Hazelnuts

IMG_0885

These beans could grace a holiday table, or sit aside some quickly grilled shrimp for a quick week-night supper.

• 12 ounces, or so, haricot verts, stem-end trimmed
    • 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 tbsp. butter or vegan butter
    • 1 large or two small shallots, minced
    • 4 cloves garlic, minced
    • 8 ounces cherry tomatoes
    • 2 tbsp. toasted hazelnuts, rough chopped
Bring a large pot of water to boil and add the beans to blanch. Cook for one to two minutes, until the beans are almost done to where you want them. Immediately plunge into ice water, or simply run under really cold water to stop them cooking. Drain and set aside. In a large skillet, add the oil and butter, once the butter stops foaming, add the shallots and garlic and sauté for a minute or two, until softened but not brown. Add the tomatoes, stir until well coated, and add the beans. Season with salt and pepper and continue cooking for a couple of minutes, until the tomatoes have softened and just start to ooze their juices and the beans are done. Plate, add the chopped nuts to the top, and sprinkle with a little more salt.

© Copyright 2020– or current year, The New Vintage Kitchen. Unattributed use of this material is strictly prohibited. Reposting and links may be used, provided that credit is given to The New Vintage Kitchen, with  active link and direction to this original post.

The New Vintage Kitchen does not accept ads or payment for mention of products or businesses.

1. Yum! I’ve never tried this with hazelnuts. Sounds delish. Thanks for sharing. -Danielle

1. You’re welcome! I adore hazelnuts, and had a little bowl of them sitting on the counter…

2. Karen says:

Green beans and tomatoes are a favorite in our house…adding the hazelnuts adds to their goodness.

3. Julia says:

I love toasted hazelnuts! I can almost taste how they would be with beans.

PS. You are not the only one having a learning curve with the new editor.

1. Thanks Julia! I think I know what I’m doing with the editor, it looks fine in Preview, and when it is published the formatting is all skewed and I don’t seem to be able to fix things. the help is pretty useless too.

1. Julia says:

I’ve several other sites that are having problems as well. I am not sure what is going on.

2. After an immense amount of poking around, I finally think I’ve got it, the Preview looks fine, and when it’s published it is all out of whack. They took a simple process and made it convoluted and cumbersome. Not fun to write using this format!

4. Hi Dorothy! I love hazelnuts but never ate them fresh, natural and we without being granulated and processed. Your meal looks handsomely delicious!❤️🍂🍃

1. Why thank you! It was pretty tasty!

1. Thank you so much! Nothing better than fresh veggies!

5. lelebonizzi says:

LOOKS so good! You deserve a follow!

6. Love the addition of hazelnuts to this classic combination!

As for the new Editor, I’m postponing using it (using the Classic option). Hopefully this option will be around for a while…

1. I’m even having trouble with the classic editor when I draft something and go back to edit it! I’ve used all kinds of intricate programs from Illustrator and inDesign and Pagemaker, manage two websites and my blog and this new format makes no sense!

1. Guess I was lucky so far. I hope they will fix the problems soon. I’ve seen more than one person complaining about it.

7. A quite frequently use side dish in our home 😉😋
    We also eat it cold as a salad seasoned with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper 😉 Easy but super delicious 😋

1. Yum! It’s funny you said that. I served this the other night when I grilled some zucchini and shrimp. We had a ton of zucchini and the beans left over, I chopped it up and tossed it all in a vinaigrette for lunch the next day! Great cooking minds!

1. Haha…not bad 😉😋 nothing goes to waste 😉 there’s always a good way to enjoy them 😉

8. CarolCooks2 says:

I can’t get hazelnuts here which is a shame as they are a nice nut I tend to use walnuts which I love and with green beans which are one of my favourite vegetables…I eat them 5 days out of 7 🙂

1. Wow! You must really love them. I eat them at least once a week myself, and never tire of them.

1. CarolCooks2 says:

I do absolutely love green beans …they are available all year round here slightly different but equally as good 🙂

2. We have tons of them here at our farm stands right now, and they are delicious!

9. the hazelnut touch is a game changer!!!love it!

1. It’s really good! I love the distinctive flavor of a toasted hazelnut.

10. chef mimi says:

Love this. Hazelnuts are my favorite nut, and I just stocked up for fall! Thanks!

1. I love them too, just about any way. I have to be careful here, both daughter and granddaughter are highly allergic, so nuts are quarantined in our kitchen when they are breathing distance from it!

11. I love haricot verts and they are hard to find in my area, this sounds like a wonderful combo! As for the new editor, it takes some getting used too…there are parts that I love, and I spent most of one day this week chatting with WP and got my issues straightened out 😅 I’m not a fan of technology changes!!
    Jenna

1. I will probably have to do the same. I think there are too many tech people with too much time on their hands…Good luck finding the haricot verts!

12. Love the combination of ingredients.

1. Thank you so much! It’s a keeper.

13. What a great combination! The hazelnuts add a fab touch!

1. Thank you! Texture is so important, and the nuts add both flavor and crunch.

14. NativeNM says:

What a great flavor combination. I would love this!

1. Thank you! It’s so easy to make too!

15. nancyc says:

Wow! These colorful veggies look so appetizing!

16. Roz says:

Dorothy, I lost you for some reason! I found your comment on another fave blogger of mine and thought that I’d pop over. Love, love, love your blog layout. But that aside, my family really loves haricot vert and we do add nuts to ours as you did. But I like the addition that you put in (cherry tomatoes, onions) for a diverse flavor combo. Beautiful too! Thank you for sharing and I’m glad that I found you again!

1. Oh Roz, I’m so glad you found me again! Thank you for all the compliments! The cherry tomatoes add a sweetness to the dish, and helps in the pretty category!

17. Sheryl says:

There is so much wonderful produce available right now, and flexibility is key to making the best use of all the wonderful potential ingredients. I like how you noted that we should use what we have a long as it’s delicious.

1. I always say Let the ingredients be you guide!